5 Best Ways To Make Money Teaching English Online
English was coined as the world’s lingua franca or common language.
According to the British Council website, English is spoken by close to 2 Billion people and it will only continue to grow and reach its peak at 3 Billion.
That being said, I’ll share you some of the best ways where you can make money teaching English online.
Teaching English online offers a multitude of opportunities.
Teaching English develops your confidence in communicating with others.
As you teach your students, you also learn in the process making you a better communicator.
Furthermore, teaching English will also mold you to be a good public speaker, and build better relationships by harnessing the power of effective communication.
These skills are extremely crucial in today’s world knowing that English language has been an “economic necessity”.
Additionally, you will also meet diverse students all throughout the world and be exposed to a variety of culture.
This will further expand your horizon and realize how huge the world truly is.
Did I say that all of these can be done at the comfort of your own home?
Here are 5 of the best websites to make money Teaching English online.
1. Teaching English Online via VIPKID
VIPKID is bridging the world through online teaching by providing an all inclusive learning experience.
This allows English Speakers to teach Chinese children from the comfort of your their own home.
They also provide one-on-one full language immersion and content classes in light of the US Common Core State Standards.
With their own platform and curriculum, VIPKID gives a different kind of learning experience to kids in China between the ages 4-12.
In addition, they have their own blog that is filled with very informative articles.
You can also read some of their teacher’s experiences, tips and inspirations.
Based on their website, you can earn as much as $14-22 per hour.
If you want to maximize the quantity of classes you could get, I suggest that you should be accessible for no less than 7.5 hours during Beijing peak hours.
That is to say that educators do not need to work full time.
However having accessibility amid the circumstances could guarantee a higher probability of being reserved by a larger quantity of their students.
- Desktop, Laptop, MAC, Surface
- A headset with a microphone, that has stable output and input
- HD External camera or HD integrated camera
- Operating System: Windows7, Windows8, Windows10,
MAC OS 10.8x
- Memory: At Least 4GB RAM
- CPU: Intel Core i3 above CPU
- Network: Wired DSL Internet Connection – at least 20 Mbps
- Latest Flash Version
Minimum Browser Requirements
- Google Chrome: Version 51 or above
- Mozilla Firefox: Version 47 or above
2. Teaching English Online via Tutor.com
Tutor.com is for professionals that are mainly residing in the U.S. or Canada.
It is a completely web based tutoring service.
Students can get a tutor day in and day out in excess of 40 subjects including English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Other Languages and Business.
Their coaching sessions occur in an online classroom, which keeps running in your internet browser.
The website not only helps learners in writing and vocabulary, they also help learners in literature and proofreading.
What is good about their platform is that students can review their previous sessions online.
Students can review transcripts of their previous sessions or replay them in real time.
Online English Tutor can work part-time on their own work schedule at the comfort of their own homes.
Since the tutoring service is available 24/7, tutors can choose a schedule the works best for themselves.
They do have a 5 Step application-tutoring process which you can see below:
- Application (you will be directed to a page where in you need to create an account if you are interested to become a tutor).
- Subject Exam
- Mock Session
- Background Check
- Start of Tutoring
Qualification to Become a Tutor:
- Currently reside in either the U.S. or Canada
- Valid SSN
- Are eligible to work in the U.S. or Canada
- Available to tutor at least 5 hrs per week
- Are an expert in your subject
- Have a strong oral and written communication skills with fluency in the English language
- Are a college sophomore or higher, or have a degree from an accredited U.S. or Canadian University
- (You must have a college degree to tutor Accounting, Economics, Finance, College Essay Writing and College Statistics)
- Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7
- 4.0 GB of system memory (RAM) or greater
- Processor (CPU) running at 1.8 GHz or higher
- Land based internet capable of at least 256 kbit/sec in both directions.
- Satellite internet or public Wi-Fi connections cannot be accepted
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
- MS Word 2007 or later
- A working headset and/or microphone for voice communication
- Desktop or laptop with display minimum of 720px vertical resolution.
- Netbook-style laptops may not attain the required resolution
- Headset or speakers/microphone for use with our software’s Voice feature
- Prefer to work on a Mac? If you’re able to install and run Windows via a multi-boot system (i.e. Boot Camp) or in an emulated environment (i.e. Parallels, VMWare) and you can obtain the required software (i.e. Microsoft Word) for Windows, your application will be considered.
3. Teaching English Online via SayABC
SayABC provides interactive learning experience to children in China between ages 5 to 12.
The headquarter is located in Beijing, China with investors from China and the U.S.
They have their own educational platform and materials which bring together fun and fascinating information about the real world.
The students are introduced to Language presentation and practice, songs and games.
It also provides video activities, a focus on global values, National Geographic Values and Mission pages and even storytelling.
This means, no lesson planning for teachers since their interactive teaching platform includes everything the teacher needs.
Teachers can work at home on their own working hours.
Teachers can earn up to $21 USD (inclusive of $2 Seasonal bonus) per 40 minutes with an average of 90% of classed booked.
To Apply, you have to create an account on their website. Just follow the 4 steps:
- Apply via SayABC website
- Wait for the Interview – 40mins (which contains a 15 mins demo class)
- Consulting agreement signing
- Orientation meeting & Evaluation class
- A desktop or a laptop with a webcam
- Headset with microphone
- Chrome browser – is needed this to access our training materials and classes.
- High-speed internet
- The website will provide the download link to their teaching platform software once you have been selected for an interview.
They are accepting application from all over the world.
SayABC has settled down the servers in these countries:
China, Singapore, Japan, Korea, North America, The Middle East, Europe, Australia and they keep on extending.
The website teamed up with universities in Canada and the US to offer short-term internships to students majoring in education.
They will consider offering applicants with relevant teaching experience an opportunity to demonstrate their skills in the classroom even if they don’t have a bachelor’s degree.
They require applicants to have at least a bachelor’s degree for contracts that are longer than 3 months.
4. Teaching English Online via italki
Italki is a website that allows learners to become fluent in any language.
They provide one on one lessons from language teachers.
The website offers customized learning.
This allows the student to choose their teacher from thousands of online teachers.
The learner can watch the teacher’s video interactions and read the reviews from their previous students.
As an online English teacher, you can set your own price and you can build your personal brand.
You can work from home or from anywhere at your own schedule.
To start teaching, you need to sign up, make your own curriculum, set your teaching rate, wait for the student and start teaching.
5. Teach English Online via Verbalplanet
Verbalplanet is a free to use website.
There is no membership fee and the teacher can keep 100% of their profit.
With this website, you can set your own price at your preferred time.
You will be paid thru PayPal and you can conduct your lessons via Skype.
To get started, you have to register online.
Create your profile by telling something about yourself.
Include your qualifications and experience, add the language you want to teach, select the price of your lessons, submit it and wait for the approval.
This website also has their own online analysis and feedback system.
This helps the teachers and students know how the students are doing.
The system is in line with common European Standards.
The students may be rated based on their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.
English language has become an economic necessity.
This is evident by observing the major companies requiring English as their corporate language.
With the demand of English teaching showing no signs of slowing down, it’s important to know how you can position yourself and make money online on it.
Do you have any experience teaching English online? Share us your story by leaving a comment below!